Mason City At A Glance - Community
- Mason City is located in Cerro Gordo County in Northern Iowa.
- Mason City is the largest urban center in North Iowa and is located 120 miles North of Des Moines, Iowa and 135 miles South of Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.
- The population of Mason City is over 28,000 people.
- The average winter temperature in Mason City is 18.2 degrees Fahrenheit and the average summer temperature is 70.7 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The average annual rainfall in Mason City is 31.4 inches while the average annual snowfall is 37.8 inches.
- Mason City has 6 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 1 public high school, and 2 private high schools.
- The Mason City school district is in the top 15% in the United States in academic student achievement tests.
- Mason City is home to a four-year college, a four-year vocational/technical college and a two-year community college.
- Mercy Medical Center – North Iowa has been named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals. They were also named a Top 100 Cardiovascular Hospital.